Winter time, means warm dinners! The bread recipe is in a previous post so I will skip this recipe. For spices … I don’t use salt so I spice heavily on all else so how much is up to you.
- 2 cups pinto beans (I make these in my Instant Pot) no salt
- 1 pound of cooked ground beef. I use Mrs Dash extra spicy when I cook this.
- 1 can no salt kidney beans
1 can no salt diced tomatoes
Water – 6 cups
2 tablespoons of red chili powder
Cumin … 2 tsp
Cilantro … if you fresh use that
Morton’s Sodium Free don’t go crazy with this! The bottle should have a warning!!!!
Add it all from top to bottom, bring your pot to a boil turn down the heat and cook it for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with cheese and sour cream, and don’t forget your chili cheese bread.
Soda’s are so bad for us … I quit this poison about 25 years ago! I love fresh brewed tea, recently I’ve tried a cinnamon flavor! Stop by your local grocery store, you may be surprised what they have in flavors. Tonight it’s straight up tea, my tea maker is in the back. It’s electric and boils water in minutes, you can find one at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tea bag
- Honey to taste
- Fresh squeezed lemon
- Glass full of ice
Put tea bag in water, leave for 2-3 minutes. The longer it’s in the water the stronger the tea. I go by color. Pour water over ice add lemon.
This is an Instant Pot recipe! If you don’t have one you need to get one, the dinners you can make are endless. Today I made philly steak sandwiches on my homemade sandwich thins.
Low sodium can be hard but a few things will make it so doable.
- Mrs Dash … tonight I used the steak one.
- My bread machine … bread has a lot of sodium, buns have so much more.
- Salt substitute …
- My Instant Pot … process foods have a ton of salt so cooking every meal can become difficult but with this gem, dishes can be made in no time at all and when working a full time job this becomes very important.
So philly steak here’s my version, my husband gave me a thumbs up.
- Round steak, the one I picked up was 1.5 pounds
- Mrs Dash Steak
- Mortons Salt Substitute
- Frozen diced onions (use as much or as little as you like) use fresh if you want
- Frozen “Recipe Beginnings”
- 1 cup of low sodium beef broth
- Shredded Italian Cheese
- Sandwich Thins
- French Dijon Mustard
I cut the steak in half, seasoned it heavily with Mrs Dash Steak. Place this in your pot add broth and salt substitute to taste. Add the vegetables, put the lid on and lock it (be sure you close the release gadget on top), use the manual setting and set the time for 45 minutes. (30 minutes for each pound). I let it self release at the end for 15 minutes.
Remove the meat and shred (this will be so easy) strain the vegetables and add it to the shredded beef.
Put it all together and you have Philly Steak Cheese sandwiches!
Let me know what you think, thanks for visiting my blog.
Low Sodium and condiments don’t hang out in the same arena. Most salad dressings creamy or not have at least 200 MG’s of salt per serving which is a small amount. So I stay away from them, but what should I use? Well Mrs. Dash to the rescue, my go to is the Table Blend with red wine vinegar. But … Fiesta Lime is sooo good!
Try this 1/3 cup golden vinegar, 1/3 cup olive oil and Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime 1 tablespoon or however much you want. It kicked up this salad a notch or 2.
Breakfast scrambler … delicious!
This is so good …. scrambled eggs (2) with Mrs. Dash Table Blend, chopped veggies ~ jalapeño pepper, tomatoe, red onion, fresh basil, topped with cheese and olive oil. Sodium approximately 200 MG’s bonus!
Pizza is so good for so many occasions but for those of us watching our salt it’s a no go. So I decided to make it! This pizza I’m showing has 900 mg’s For the WHOLE pizza! Half is 45O mg’s and this is right at my 500 mg’s/meal!!!
- Homemade pizza dough …
1 cup water, 1/2 tsp of No Salt, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning, 2 tbsp of Olive Oil, 3 cups of flour, 1-1/2 tsp of bread machine yeast. Put ingredients in your machine in this order, put it on the dough cycle. Preheat your oven to 400* .
- Sauce ….
1 small can of tomato sauce and 1 paste, 1/4 cup of water season to your taste. My seasoning – No Salt, ground pepper, Mrs. Dash tomato basil and garlic, cook for about 15 minutes. The rest of the topping are below **
- Onion and Pepper
- Low Sodium Pepperoni 25 slices
- Natural Italian blend cheese 1/4 cup
- Natural Pizza Blend cheese 1/2 cup
Pat your dough onto a prepared pizza pan, 12-14 inch. I baked it for five minutes. Remove it from the oven and ~
Spread your sauce and add your toppings, bake it for 17 minutes give or take. And this is what you get!
It’s fall season and chili time! I make an event of going to the farm, buying bushels of roasted chili, bagging it and freezing it! I now have chili to last all year. When you first get it home, peel one and wrap it in a warm fresh tortilla! Aw … it just makes my mouth water. Than make pork green chili and beans, now this is a taste of heaven.
I already made my first and second batch of chili beans and tonight I added pull apart chili cheese bread!
Here is my recipe … I use a bread machine. If you don’t have one I like this website: myrecipes.com and they have a basic white bread recipe. Also Rhodes frozen dough rolls would work. I reduce the sodium by making it from scratch.
Using the dough setting on your machine, which includes the first rise of the dough.
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
Spray a bunt pan with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- 8 roasted hatch chili finely chopped. (Divide evenly in 3 parts)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (divide in 3 parts)
- garlic powder to your taste
- No Salt to your taste
- Remove the bread from your machine and tear pieces off. (Divide in 3 parts)
- Now layer your pan, dough, chili, cheese, season with garlic powder and No Salt. Repeat 2 more times
- Cover and let rise till it reaches the top of the pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes
- Reset temp to 375, bake for 20 minutes
- Cover bread with parchment paper
- Bake for 10 more minutes
- Let it cool, tear apart and eat!
Try it with queso, chili beans, guacamole, and so many more great tasting things!