Salads can be a fun meal … most of my meals consist of a natural protein and fresh vegetables. This salad has lettuce greens, spinach, tomato, avocado, yellow pepper, red onion, pine nuts with chicken breast on top. I also made the salad dressing, with red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, water, fresh basil, garlic and onion powder, Mrs. Dash tomato basil seasoning. Blend with a whisk. I made my dinner rolls, onion flavored this week. Looks delicious right? Well, it is and the best part the MG’S – 65 MG’s! That’s right!
Hello everyone …
It’s been awhile I know, a lot has happened over the last few and my life is beginning to settle down a bit, (at least enough for me to blog!) I have several to post, but I thought I would start with a fun one.
POPCORN! And tomorrow is game day and we all need a healthy snack. This has to be my favorite one, but if you look at the ingredients on those bags you will be disappointed. So … we make it at home! Honestly by guy makes the best popcorn, but he recently agreed to a West Bend Air Popper!!! ANNDDDD, it was not hard to get him to agree.
My Recipe … Low Salt Popcorn
- I fill to the max line with my store brand popcorn, if fills a medium size bowl (plenty to share)
- 2 tablespoons of no salt butter
- 2 tablespoons of a nice grated parmesan cheese, the one I have is 55MG’s of salt per a tablespoon.
- Total MG’s of salt for my whole bowl is 110 MG’s … this is AWESOME
Try it you won’t be disappointed! You can add any flavor you want, make one up of your own, if you are a popcorn lover you will not be disappointed.
“The first step isn’t to dodge obstacles or let outside circumstances steer you. The first step is to figure out where you want to go.” Advice from Andrea Badgley on sailing (and life).
This is one of my favorite side dishes. I have tomatoes and basil in my garden, and traditionally this is made with mozzarella. I don’t usually have this because of sodium. I have found Private Selection cheeses have sodium, but not so much that I can’t have it in some of my dishes. I find these is the dairy cheese section. Today I added left over Gorganzola and my dressing was Mrs Dash Table Blend spice with Golden Balsamic vinegar. This is a simple side dish and 160 MG’s per serving.
Camping for me requires simple dinners, so when I found Gorgonzola burgers I was excited! We tried them without all the hoopla, there was cheese, basil and spices so no need to melted cheese, slice lettuce or onion. And besides traveling with added stuff was exactly what I was not going to. We now have these during the week after work heat the grill (no messy pan), not cutting or slicing, and chips. Keeping it simple … If this is calling to you keep reading.
- 1 lb. Ground Beef 65 MG’s for 3 oz.
- Private Selection Gorgonzola Cheese 1/2 the container 320 MG’s.
- Basil fresh from my herb garden
- Grill … We go for medium or less, the less fat in your meat the less time on the grill. Don’t overcook 🙂
- Bread make your choice … I like my homemade buns but in a pinch sandwich thins work if you have sodium MG’s left.
You can use mustard, the safest condiment that I have found or try my special sauce!
Special Sauce …. Whisk together
- 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce 40 MG’s
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp ground mustard 60 MG’s
- 1 tbsp golden balsamic vinegar
- Mrs Dash Onion Blend (I go heavy on the spices).
- Pour over hamburger on bottom bun.
This simple side dish is great with any dinner with Mexican Food theme. Rice has no sodium and it’s simple to make. The milligrams of sodium are so low it comes with the corn which is frozen, 10 MG’s per a serving, so maybe 20 in the WHOLE dish! Here’s my recipe …
- Bring to boil 2 cups of water, with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add 1 cup of rice.
- 8 oz of diced no salt tomatoes
- Optional … 1 cup of peas or corn
- Spices – season to your taste with, garlic powder, onion powder, No Salt, cumin, cilantro, pepper
- Stir the pot
- turn heat down cook for 15 minutes
- pluff the rice and serve warm.
Yum!!! And my guy liked this meal! I have always enjoyed wonder roast deli chicken. They make dinner easy, and can be used for many things. But the salt content is pretty high. Today I took the time to roast my own chicken. I picked up a Simple Truth whole chicken from King Soopers with the intent of putting it in the grill with a beer. First time for everything right, I just couldn’t get past the grease thing, so in the oven it went. And here’s how I prepared it … Preheat oven to 375
- A whole chicken, Simple Truth 75 MG’s for 4 oz. cleaned and prepared with olive oil, Mrs Dash Chicken for Grilling, and 5-pepper Private Selection Grinder. Cover with foil and place in oven for 1-1.5 hours, internal temp needs to be 165 degrees. Uncover and leave in oven long enough to brown chicken.
- Stir Fry Squash – 1 yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 1 onice diced, minced garlic, 1 cup frozen corn, olive oil, fresh cilantro,fresh green chilies (4) diced, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and No Salt. For spices, I am aggressive with this this. I have want flavor! Stir fry, I look for the onion to be transparent and than firmness of veggies. I don’t like them to be squishy! NO SALT HERE! Yea!!!!
White rice – 2 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, 1 tbsp of Mrs Dash Original and 1 cup of rice. NO SALT HERE! Yea!!!
Dinner rolls, I made my white bread recipe for a 2 lb. loaf on the dough cycle in my bread machine. I divided the dough and made 1 loaf of bread and 12 small dinner rolls. 12 MG’s per roll. I used 1/8 tsp of salt in my dough the summer weather is playing havoc on my bread, but as you can see this entire meal is about 110 MG’s of salt!